This interesting mountain itinerary, focused on the narration of historical events, the contemplation of places linked to transhumance and to the artistic heritage of Abruzzo, will make you discover the agricultural and pastoral traditions of L’Aquila. The Path of Transhumance includes the medieval mountain villages of Santo Stefano di Sessanio and Castel del Monte, ancient trade centres. During your journey, you will learn everything about transhumance, including its relationships with economic and social policies, but also with food local production.
Transhumance is the seasonal movement of Abruzzo’s sheperds with their livestock between fixed summer and winter pastures. Choosing these unbelievable itineraries, you will walk through their ancient paths, surrounded by the amazing nature described by the famous poet Gabriele D’Annunzio.
Duration: 2h 30’
The journey includes: Trekking and Hiking
• Welcome at the Visitors Centre in the Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park (Santo Stefano di Sessanio)
• Guided tour of Santo Stefano di Sessanio and Castel del Monte
• Walk along a part of an ancient cattle-track
• Tasting of local products (cold cuts, cheese, honey)
• Relaxing walk contemplating the amazing panorama of the Plateau of Campo Imperatore
• Local products tasting